Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution involves depositing and/or sharing certain content on a web hosting server run by a website hosting vendor. There are different groups of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's have a peek at these. Doing so, you can elect what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to launch a web page, electronic mail accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by given hosts, which lets you share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php website files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting services are frequently supported by exhibiting ads beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a particular period of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely twisted explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would divide the tasks at hand between individual sets of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a type of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; some providers provide a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting type is good if you want to share a huge quantity of images with friends or associates since the service is generally free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to tackling your mails. Some suppliers offer web site hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an email service. If you wish to keep a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can open e-mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this method instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file produces a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video clips and a few hundred viewers, you may have a problem with your webspace hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will allow you to manage as many video clips as you would like without hassling about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you desire to run a website. To a certain degree, it encompasses all of the aforesaid hosting brands since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload videos, etc. At NTC Hosting, for instance, you can have a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that allow you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in one single location. There may be limits based on the form of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the customary e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are intended for specific web content solely.